Friday, June 24, 2016

くり山 (Kuriyama Hakuraku)

Summer time in the Kanto region is rainy, hot, humid, and a perfect time for tsukemen (dipping noodles). The noodles are served cold with a small bowl of dipping soup. There are many shops that serve ramen and tuskemen, but only a few that specialize in tsukemen. くり山 (Kuriyama) in Hakuraku is one such shop. In recent entries I have been visiting places just before they reopen for dinner. I would suggest you try to do that if you want to avoid a long line at Kuriyama. There is something magical about watching a shop open up for dinner. After the lifting of a rolling metal gate and the placement of a rod adorned with tattered flags a ramen shop appears. The shop itself looked like an izakaya turned ramen shop, meaning that the wall between the counter and the kitchen was so high that I was unable to get a great view of the action.



But behind the scenes there is so much happening to make all the bowls of tsukemen!


Over the tall counter came my tsukemen. I ordered extra chashu and an egg from the man that takes the orders outside, which for more popular shops is a really great system. Their menu is minimal between tsukemen or ramen and a few standard additional toppings like menma, chashu, or an egg.



A generous dash of dashi topped my tsukemen soup which I immediately tried. It was rich and porky highlighted by the dashi and is Kuriyama's true hero. The bits of pork cooked with the soup were perfectly tender, but the extra pieces that I had ordered were a little dry. I cracked open the egg which was only slightly overcooked. The finest part of my meal came at the end when you return your soup bowl to the high counter and the chef adds yuzu seasoning and a thin broth. What a delight! For slightly dry pork and an overcooked egg Kuriyama gets a 4.5/5. If I return I will order just tsukemen with no extra chashu or egg because their soup is fantastic all on its own!





Tabelog, twitter, and map ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment