Friday, May 1, 2015

希望軒 (Kibou-ken Shinjuku)

While on the lookout for part time work I looked out for a good ramen shop to eat away post interview stress. With the help of tabelog I found an excellent spot not so far from Shinjukusanchome station. 希望軒 (Kibou-ken) is part of a small chain which offers several varities of ramen like tonkotsu and miso. I was drawn to this shop because of the following image:
WOW! Who wouldn't want a bowl of ramen lined with meat, other than of course some of my very nice vegetarian friends. When I arrived I paged through their menu with the help of an enthusiastic and friendly Ramen chef. Yes, they have an actual menu, and not just a ticket machine like most shops! I could tell he was used to tourists coming in and seemed well rehearsed in giving me an English tour of their offerings:
Based on the image above I decided that I couldn't pass up the sesame miso ramen. It looked fantastic! While the chef made my bowl and many others for his hungry customers he made small talk with me. Usually I am quite shy with my Japanese language skills but he made me feel at ease so we learned a little bit about eachother. I really appreciate such a friendly warm atmosphere. As he was chatting with me, he put the finishing touches on my bowl. In one deft motion he sliced an egg with fishing line and served up my order. He seemed to be waiting for a response, and I didn't disappoint. Immediatley looking up from my meal with a smile I said oishii (delicious)!! He was very pleased with my reaction, which was a genuine reaction to a wonderful bowl of ramen.
The base was delicate but flavorful, one of the best miso ramens I have had to date, having a subtle sesame flavor. Its egg was well seasoned and cooked perfectly. Some shops serve the egg cold, but this one was warm, which I prefer. All of the toppings (bean sprouts, pork, green onion) were done to perfection. I also really appreciate shops that offer fresh peeled garlic on the table that you can squeeze into your bowl with a garlic press. Everything about Kibouken was a delight, from the warm atmosphere to the delcious ramen, so If you are near Shinjuku station head over to Shinjukusanchome. It's only about a ten minute walk. I really want to go back! おいしかった、またきます!!! 5/5





Links to both their facebook, official website, and tabelog, as well as the map:



2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the miso ramen at Oyaji @ Machida and Tsunagi @ Ebisu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete