Sunday, February 14, 2016

つけ麺 櫻坂 (Sakura Zaka)

On a cold February evening, there is nothing better to lift one's spirits than hunting for ramen. A friend and I did just that in the Shibuya area the other night. So this makes this another double review! I have written about Shibuya before, and in the more popular areas there are many chain shops, but we were after something different. Something off the beaten path. My friend uses an app to find good ramen called ramen map! Technology is so exciting. This is how we located Sakura Zaka. The red pin on the map indicated that it is a popular shop. In we went. A cozy, familiar interior that I associate with old style Japan was a welcome comfort from the cold.

There are three flavor options at Sakura Zaka, miso, shio, and fish. My friend decided on the fish and I decided on the shio. Each of us chose the option that came with extra chashu and egg. I was delighted to learn each came with an egg and a half!
Both came topped with ample amounts of negi and chashu hiding just below the surface. On the left is the shio and the right is the fish. Both seasoned and rich in flavor, our only complaint was that we felt that the base was on the slightly oily side (not the best for either shio or fish ramen, after all, we weren't expecting tonkotsu). That is a detractor for some and a plus for others. Though cold, the chashu was cooked perfectly and falling apart in the stock. A+ there! But another hidden surprise was the menma, You can see it in the shio bowl right next to the egg. I don't really enjoy menma and so that much in my ramen (there was really a lot) was a slight detractor. Condiments available were only pepper and chili pepper flakes, though I think the flavor was quite good on its own merits. I would have like some sesame though! For me Sakura Zaka is a solid 4/5, a great egg and chashu, but too much menma and grease.





Link and a Map!





No comments:

Post a Comment