Friday, March 18, 2016

らーめん中々 (Ramen Naka Naka Hakuraku)

Lately I realized that I have overlooked a very popular flavor of ramen: Shoyu. Shoyu is a soy sauce broth that's usually on the lighter side. It was just what I was after during my most recent ramen research. Enter らーめん中々 (Ramen Naka Naka), famous for both its shio and shoyu flavors! This is a shop located in a small alleyway in Hakuraku. I have written about this area before, but it bears repeating that Hakuraku is an interesting area that harks back to 1970's/80's Japan. Think Formica counter tops, nicotine stained ceilings, small dimly lit yakitori and oden shops, and vintage posters. Hakuraku appeals to a strange nostalgia I have for all things decades old.


Ramen Naka Naka is no exception to the alleyway aesthetic that I so enjoy. Sliding doors open to a cozy, small, counter only shop. 


Their simple menu only has a few options, a welcome site in an age with too many options. Can you tell I've been warped by nostalgia? I went with my friend. I ordered wonton ramen and he ordered negi ramen. We were able to watch as our bowls were composed of soysauce and all the toppings.




As you can see there are few variations to both bowls: negi cooked with pork vs wonton, chashu, and bok choy. Each had very thin sliced negi and garlic. Highlights inlcude a perfectly seasoned egg, very nicely cooked chashu, and delicious gummy wontons. The noodles were also thin, but crinkly, which we both thought were cooked perfectly. We agreed that the addition of pepper (the only condiment offered) helped bring out more flavor. The base was nothing special, but overall not a detractor because towards the end of our bowls we felt the flavor mixed well with all the bits of negi and garlic left over. Naka Naka has a solid shoyu bowl of ramen: 4/5.




Map and a link to tabelog!







2 comments:

  1. Love the decor. The 80's rocked. Does Japan have Chucky Cheese's? Also, the ramen sounds great, and I could google this, but what is chashu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a Chucky Cheese here! Chashu are the pork slices often cooked with ramen :D

    ReplyDelete