Friday, March 4, 2016

らぁ麺やまぐち (Ramen Yamaguchi Takadanobaba/Waseda)

This week I was still questing after the top ramen shops listed by Tabelog and I ended up at a shop near Takadanobaba, らぁ麺やまぐち (Ramen Yamaguchi). They have made it to the top a couple years running and of course proudly display their awards. Their minimalistic shop has no condiments and a kitchen tucked away in the back. I actually really enjoy watching ramen chefs at work, so this was a slight disappointment. I managed to sneak a peek from my vantage point:


It seemed to take longer than usual for a simple shio, but out came my bowl complete with 2 slices of chicken, a sparse gathering of baby greens, thinly sliced negi, menma, and an egg:


OK, sometimes I forgive a lack of condiments if the bowl is truly deserving of no alterations, but I would have been happy to add some pepper. What Yamaguchi really has going for it is the base. A bountiful banty flavor that was both complex and light. Thin buckwheat style noodles were slightly overcooked for my liking, but the additional bowl of egg noodles was spot on. However I was unimpressed by the cook on both slices of meat. The white meat had a gummy feel and the other slice lacked any flavor at all. Sadly, the egg was also overcooked. I felt a little disappointed as I finished and wondered how Yamaguchi made it into the top 50 twice. Not my cup of tea, but perhaps someone else's? 3.5/5





Tabelog, their official blog, and a map!





No comments:

Post a Comment